Up for a challenge in 2018? We’d love you to join our Keswick 2 Barrow and Coniston 2 Barrow teams on 12 May. You can walk or run – choose from either the 40 mile K2B or 21 mile C2B challenge. We ask that you pledge to raise at least £80 in sponsorship money.
- Event name: Keswick 2 Barrow Walk (K2B) 2018 and Coniston 2 Barrow Walk (C2B) 2018
- Date: 12 May 2018
- Start location: Legburthwaite car park, Keswick (K2B) or Coniston Sports Club (C2B)
- End location: Hawcoat Park Sports Club, Barrow-in-Furness
- Distance: 40 miles (K2B) or 21 miles (C2B)
- Entry fee: £10 entry (if you book by 22 February) – the standard fee is £15 per person.
- Sponsorship required: £80 minimum
- Book your place: register online on the Keswick to Barrow website
- Join Team Bay Hospitals Charity: email Heidi Bowron at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her on 01229 404473.
The Keswick 2 Barrow route
The K2B route starts next to the car park at Legburthwaite, Keswick, proceeds down the banks of Thirlmere at the foot of Helvellyn, winds up and over Dunmail Raise, and continues down through the villages of Grasmere and Elterwater. From there the route passes through The Langdales and Coniston village, before reaching the head of Coniston Water, where the quiet east bank of the lake is followed. There are fine views of Coniston Old Man as the route passes Brantwood, the former home of John Ruskin, and then continues through the village of Nibthwaite before arriving in Lowick. The most challenging section is the progressive ascent up Kirkby Moor to the highest point of the route. Then it descends through the village of Marton and on via Dalton-in-Furness to the finish at Hawcoat Park Sports Club on the outskirts of Barrow-in-Furness. There are eight official timing checkpoints, and a number of other locations where participants can obtain free drinks, food, first aid, and support.
The fastest runners complete the 40.0 mile official race in just over 4 hours, and the majority of walkers take between 8 and 12 hours. All finishers receive a completion certificate and a commemorative medal. Trophies are awarded in various categories for individual and team achievements, including fastest runners in the official K2B race, fastest teams, the teams and individuals raising the most sponsorship money, and a special achievement award.
Coniston to Barrow Walk 2018
If the full Keswick to Barrow walk is too daunting, why not try the shorter 21.1 mile Coniston to Barrow (C2B) Walk. The C2B starts from Coniston Sports Club on the same day as the K2B, and shares the same route as the K2B down to Barrow.
Saturday 12 May 2018
You can walk or run – choose from either the 40 mile K2B or 21 mile C2B challenge. We ask that you pledge to raise at least £80 in sponsorship money.
It’s easy to get involved
- Let us know you are joining Team Bay Hospitals Charity! Email Heidi Bowron at email@example.com or call her on 01229 404473.
- Register online from 22 January on the Keswick to Barrow website – early birds get a discounted £10 entry (if you book by 22 February) – the standard fee is £15 per person.